Matt Devine concentrates his practice in the representation of entrepreneurs and businesses in a variety of corporate and commercial matters, including entity choice and formation, corporate governance, debt and equity financings, and mergers and acquisitions. He also represents issuers (venture capital, real estate, and other private equity funds) in a variety of fund formation and capital-raising transactions, including private placements, crowdfunding transactions, and other offerings.
In addition to his work with Lex Nova, he co-teaches and helped design a law school course at Temple Law School focused on entrepreneurial finance. He is an active member of the greater Philadelphia startup community, having previously worked with the angel investing group Robin Hood Ventures and with a major regional foundation in the development of its impact investing portfolio. He is also a regular reviewer/mentor in Temple University’s Ideas Competition and its Be Your Own Boss Bowl Business Plan Competition.
- Represented New Jersey family office investor in a series of Series Seed and Series A preferred equity investments ranging from $50,000 to $250,000 in life sciences industry.
- Represented Pennsylvania cosmetic company in the creation and funding of a $5 million joint venture with another cosmetic company.
- Counseled New Jersey family office investor in a series of venture capital investments in a coffee company and a real estate investment fund.
- Represented startup company in closing a $250,000 convertible note financing with New York-based incubator.
- Drafted and closed several Series A investments into various fintech companies on behalf of venture capital fund.
- Drafted offering documents, LLC Agreements, and related documents for the creation of crowdfunding investment funds in solar energy, real estate investment, and distressed loans, among many other industries.
- Counseled Chinese Bank in the purchase of a participation interest in a multi-tranche, $450 million debt facility to convert a skyscraper in New York into luxury condominiums.
- Underwriter’s counsel for national investment bank for $65 million revenue bond issuance to finance the construction of a senior housing community outside of Atlanta, Georgia, including taxable, tax-exempt and subordinated bonds.
- Represented community banks, credit unions, investment banks, and hard-money lenders in drafting and closing numerous debt facilities in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, including commercial mortgage loans, revolving lines of credit facilities, and asset-based lending facilities.
- Represented buyer in connection with a $3 million acquisition of a Pennsylvania based domestic and international defense contractor.
- Represented seller of commercial crane rental company in connection with a $10 million asset sale to a larger construction equipment company.
- New Jersey counsel to Puerto Rico-based buyer in connection with a $4 million membership interest purchase of a New Jersey limited liability company holding commercial property in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Counseled client in the purchase of a New York-based early childhood education franchise, including review of franchise documents and negotiating and drafting operating agreements, employment agreements, and vesting schedules for key employees.
- Drafted shareholders’ agreements and consulting contracts for Philadelphia-based impact investing consulting firm.
News & Events
- Aligning Profits with Purpose: An Analysis of the Philadelphia Sustainable Business Tax Credit, Temple Political and Civile Rights Law Review (25 Temp. Pol. & Civ. Rts. L. Rev. 75 (2016)).
- Moderator, Startups and Venture Capital Panel at Temple Law School (2017)
- Don’t Get Me Started – On Why I Teach Lawyering for Entrepreneurship, Temple 10-Q&A Episode 1
- The Holy Grail of Angel Investment, Waterfront Ventures Presentation in Camden, New Jersey (2018)
- The Fundamentals of Commercial Lending, Mercer County Bar Association Xtreme CLE (2019)